Areas of Interest:
Behavior of Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Members, Seismic Retrofitting and Rehabilitation of Concrete and Masonry Structures using FRP Composites, Earthquake Engineering with focus on development of cyclic models for combined loading, Precast and Prefabricated Construction
Ph.D., (Emphasis on Structural Engineering), Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, USA, 2009
M.S, (Emphasis on Structural Engineering), IIT Madras, 2005
B.E, (Civil Engineering), Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, 2002
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, Indian Institute of Technology Madras August 02- May 05
List of Patents
VV Rangarao, KVL Subramaniam, S. Suriya Prakash “Lateral Reinforcement System and Method for Concrete Structures”, Patent Number: 3001/CHE/2015, June 16, 2015, Granted.
List of Publications
Refereed Journal Publications
- Rasheed, A, and Prakash, SS. (2018). “Uni-axial Tensile Behavior of Hybrid-Synthetic Fiber Reinforced Cellular Light Weight Concrete- An Experimental Study using DIC”. Construction and Building Materials Journal (Accepted).
- Surepally, N and Prakash, SS. (2018). “Improved Confinement Model for Reinforced Concrete Circular Bridge Columns Under Static Flexural Loading.” Journal of Structural Engineering, SERC Chennai (Accepted).
- Pachalla, SKS and Prakash, SS. (2018). “Load Resistance and Failure Modes of Hollowcore Slabs with Openings – A Finite Element Study”, PCI Journal (Accepted).
- Chellapandian M, Prakash SS and Rajagopal A (2018). “Analytical and Finite element studies on hybrid FRP strengthened RC square column elements under Axial and Eccentric compression”. Composite Structures, Volume 184, Pages 234-248.
- Rasheed, MA, and Prakash, SS. (2018). “Experimental Study on Compression Behavior of Fiber Reinforced Cellular Light Weight Concrete Masonry Prisms “, ACI Structural Journal (Accepted), May 2018.
- Jain, S., Chellapandian, M. and Prakash, S.S. (2017). “Emergency Repair of Severely Damaged Reinforced Concrete Column Elements under Axial Compression: An Experimental Study”. Construction and Building Materials Journal, Elsevier Volume 155, 30 November 2017, Pages 751-761
- Kuntal, V.S., Chellapandian, M., Prakash, SS., (2017). “Efficient Near Surface Mounted CFRP Shear Strengthening of High Strength Prestressed Concrete Beams – An Experimental Study”, Composite Structures, 180 (2017) 16-28.
- Chellapandian, M, Prakash, SS and Sharma, A. (2017). “Strength and Ductility of Innovative Hybrid NSM Reinforced and FRP Confined Short RC Columns under Axial Compression”, Composite Structures 176 (2017) 205–216.
- Mondal T. G. Kothamuthyala, SR and Prakash S.S. (2017). “Hysteresis Modelling of Reinforced Concrete Columns under Cyclic Torsional Loading.” Structural Engineering and Mechanics Journal, Techno-press, Vol. 64 No. 1, October10, 2017, 1-12pp.
- Jain, S., Prakash, SS. and Subramaniam, KVL. (2017). “Monitoring of Concrete Cylinders with and without Steel Fibers under Compression using PZT Smart Sensors”, Journal of NDT& E Elsevier, DOI: 10.1007/s10921-016-0376-2
- Pachalla, SKS and Prakash, SS. (2017). “Effect of Openings on the Behavior of PPHCS Slabs under Low and Moderate Shear”, ACI Structural Journal. Jan-Feb 2017, DOI 10.14359/51689155.
- Pachalla, SKS and Prakash, SS. (2017). “Load Resistance and Failure modes of FRP strengthened Precast Hollow Core Slabs with Openings”, Materials and Structures Journal, Springer Ltd. Vol. 50, Issue 3, 2017, 14 pp.
- Pachalla, SKS and Prakash, SS. “Efficient Near Surface Mounting CFRP Strengthening of Pretensioned Hollowcore Slabs with Opening– An Experimental Study”, Composite Structures Journal (Accepted).
- Kankeri, P and Prakash, SS. “Effectiveness of Hybrid Bonded Overlay and NSM CFRP Laminate Strengthening on Behavior of Prestressed Hollow Core Slabs at Different Levels of Combined Flexure and Shear”, Composite Structures Journal (Accepted).
- Goudar, AG, Mondal, TG., and Prakash, SS. (2016). “Analytical and Finite Element Studies on Behavior of FRP Strengthened Beams under Torsion” Composite Structures Journal, Volume 153, 1 October 2016, Pages 876–885.
- Srikar, G., Goudar AG., and Prakash SS. (2016). “Residual Compression Behavior of Structural Polypropylene Fiber Reinforced Concrete Exposed to Moderate Temperature”, Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s40069-016-0127-x
- Kolanu, NR., Prakash, SS. and Ramji, M. (2016). “Experimental Study on Compressive Behavior of GFRP Stiffened Panels Using Digital Image Correlation”, Ocean Engineering, Elsevier, 114, 290-302, DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.01.034.
- Goudar, AG, Mondal, TG., and Prakash, SS. (2016). “Improved Softened Membrane Model for Reinforced Concrete Circular Bridge Columns under Torsion” Journal of Bridge Engineering ASCE, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000907, Pages 1-12.
- Kankeri, P., Prakash, SS. (2016). “Experimental Evaluation of Bonded Overlay and NSM GFRP Bar Strengthening on Flexural Behavior of Precast Prestressed Hollow Core Slabs” Journal of Engineering Structures, Elsevier, Vol.120, pp. 49-57, May 2016.
- Rasheed, MA, and Prakash, SS. (2015). “Mechanical Behavior of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Cellular Light Weight Concrete for Structural Applications of Masonry”, Journal of Building Materials and Construction, Elsevier, Vol. 98, pp. 631-640, DOI 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.137.
- Prakash S.S., Aqhtaruddin, M. and Dhara, S., (2015) “Behavior of Soft-Brick Masonry Small Assemblies with and without Strengthening under Compression Loading”, Materials and Structures Journal, RILEM, 15 pp. DOI 10.1617/s11527-015-0695-2.
- Mondal, T. G., and Prakash, S. S. (2015a). “Effect of Tension Stiffening on the Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Circular Columns under Torsion.” Engineering Structures Journal, Elsevier, Vol. 92, pp. 186-195.
- Mondal, T. G., and Prakash, S. S. (2015b). “Effect of Tension Stiffening on the Behaviour of Square RC Columns under Torsion.” Structural Engineering and Mechanics Journal, Techno-press, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 501-520.
- Mondal, T. G., and Prakash, S. S. (2015c). “Improved Softened Truss Model for Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Circular Columns under Combined Torsion and Axial Compression.” Magazine of Concrete Research, ICE (UK), Vol. 67 No. 1, 12 pp,
- Mondal, T. G., and Prakash, S. S. (2015d). “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of RC Bridge Columns under Torsion with and without Axial Compression”, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, DOI. 10.1061/ (ASCE) BE.1943-5592.0000798, 040 (2015).
- Suriya Prakash, S., Li, Q., and Belarbi, A., “Behaviour of Circular and Square RC Bridge Columns under Combined Loading including Torsion”, ACI Structural Journal, 109, No. 3, May 2012, pages 317-328.
- Suriya Prakash, S., and Belarbi, A. “Towards damage-based design approach for RC bridge columns under combined loadings using damage index models”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Taylor & Francis Group Journals, Vol. 14, No. 3 , 2010 , pages 363 – 389.
- Prakash, SS., Belarbi, A., and You, Y.M. “Seismic performance of circular RC columns subjected to axial, bending, and torsion with low and moderate shear “, Journal of Engineering Structures, Elsevier, Vol. 32, No. 1, 2010, Pages 46-59.
- Belarbi, A., Suriya Prakash, S. and You, Y.M. “Effect of transverse spiral reinforcement on the seismic flexural-shear-torsional behaviour of reinforced concrete circular bridge columns”, Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2009.
- Suriya Prakash, S. and Belarbi, A. “Bending-shear-torsion interaction features of RC circular bridge columns-An experimental study”, ACI Special Publication-SP265, Vol. 265, 2009, Pages 427-454
- Belarbi, A., Suriya Prakash, S. and Silva, P.F. “Incorporation of decoupled damage index models in the performance-based evaluation of RC circular and square bridge columns under combined loadings”, ACI Special Publication-SP271, Vol. 271, 2010, Pages 79-102
- Suriya Prakash, S. and Alagusundaramoorthy, P. “Behaviour of masonry wallettes and shear triplets retrofitted with GFRP composites”, Journal of Cement Concrete and Composites, Elsevier, Vol. 30, 745-761, 2006.
- Suriya Prakash, S. and Alagusundaramoorthy, P. “Experimental study on masonry wallettes and shear triplets externally bonded with GFRP Composites”, Journal of Indian Institution of Civil Engineers, Vol. 88, 24-31, May 2006.
- Suriya Prakash, S. and Alagusundaramoorthy, P. “Behaviour of masonry load bearing walls retrofitted with GFRP composites”, Journal of Structural Engineering, 36, No. 2, 73-81, June/July 2007.
Journal Papers under Review
- Chellapandian, M and Prakash, S.S and Sharma A. An experimental study on the behavior of hybrid CFRP strengthened short RC column elements under eccentric compression. Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE (Under Review).
- Chellapandian, M., Prakash, S.S and Sharma, A. Strength Enhancement of RC Square Elements under Flexure using Hybrid CFRP strengthening with NSM and External Bonding Techniques. Composites Part: B Engineering (Under Review)
- Chellapandian, M., Jain, S. and Prakash, S.S. Compression Behavior of Short RC Columns Repaired after Cyclic Pre-Damage using Hybrid FRP Composites under Axial Compression. International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials (To be Submitted).
- Kuntal, V.S., Chellapandian, M., Prakash, SS., “Effect of Bonding Materials on NSM CFRP Shear Strengthening of High Strength Prestressed Concrete Beams”, PCI Journal (To be submitted.)
- Jain, S., Chellapandian, M. and Prakash, S.S. Proof of Concept on Damage Monitoring of FRP Strengthened Reinforced Concrete Columns using PZT based Smart Aggregates. Smart Structures and Systems, Techno press Journal (Under Review).
- Kankeri, P., Prakash, SS. “Effect of Pre-cracking on the Behaviour of Hybrid Strengthened precast hollow core slabs” PCI Journal, USA (under Review)
- Mondal, T.G., Vyasarayani, CP, and Prakash, SS. “Application of Homotopy Technique in the Parameter Identification of Bouc-Wen Type Model”, Earthquakes and Structures Journal, (under Review)
- Pachalla, SKS, Dhara, S., Kankeri, K. and Prakash, SS. “Experimental Study on Behavior of GFRP Strengthened Precast Prestressed Hollow Core Slabs under Flexure”, Structures Journal, Elsevier Ltd. (Under Review)
- Pachalla, SKS, Kankeri, K. and Prakash, SS. “Behavior of Macro-Synthetic Fiber Reinforced PPHCS Slabs at Different Levels of Flexure and Shear “, Materials and Structures Journal, Springer Ltd. (Under Review).
- Mondal, T.G., Vyasarayani, CP, and Prakash, SS. “Flexural Hysteresis Behavior of Circular Concrete Bridge Columns an Improved Approach”, Journal of Structural Engineering, SERC Chennai (under Review).
Prestressed Concrete Design (Jan 2013; Jan 2014 to Jan 2017)
Details of Sponsored Projects
|Total budget of projects completed/on-going||~Rs. 1.8 crores|
|Number of sponsored projects ongoing/completed||6|
|Number of proposal to be submitted||1|
|S.No.||Title||Funding Agency||From – To||Duration||Sanctioned Amount||Role|
|1||Resilient and Sustainable Fiber Reinforced Masonry Systems for Rural India||DST Ramanujan Fellowship||2012-2017||5 Years||Rs. 35,00,000||PI|
|2||Shear Flow Estimation and Damage Assessment of RC Columns under Combined Loading Including Torsion||DST (Extra-Mural Scheme)||2014-2016||3 Years||Rs. 34,00,000||PI|
|3||Behavior of Masonry Assemblies Retrofitted with TRM Strengthening||DST (young Scientist Scheme)||2014-2016||3 Years||Rs. 24,70,000||PI|
|4||Embedded smart sensor design for internal stress and damage detection in concrete||DST (Extra-Mural Scheme)||2014-2016||3 Years||Rs. 37,00,000||Co-PI|
|5||Fabrication and Testing of Resilient Fiber Reinforced Hollowcore slabs for Affordable Housing||Utchattar Avikshar Yojana Scheme||2016-2019||4 Years||Rs. 49,00,000||Advisor|
|6||FAST- Center for Excellence in Sustainable Development||MHRD||2014-2018||5 Years||Rs. 5,00,00,000||Investigator|
Details About Student Guidance
|1||P. Sameer Kumar Sarma
|Behaviour of Precast Prestressed Hollow Core Slabs- Effect of Openings and FRP Strengthening||Graduated in 2016; Currently Post-Doctoral Fellow in Iowa State University||Guide|
|Hybrid Strengthening Strategies for Precast Prestressed Hollow core Slabs||Graduated in 2017; Currently Assistant Professor in Engineering College||Guide|
Md. Abdur Rasheed
|Mechanical Characterization of Sustainable Fiber Reinforced Cellular Light Weight Concrete for Masonry Applications||Proposal Defended||Guide|
|Axial Flexure Interaction of Hybrid FRP Strengthened RC Columns||Proposal Defended||Guide|
S. Murali Sagar Varma
|Effect of Fiber Reinforcement on the Behaviour of Bottle Shaped Strut under High Shear Loads||External Student||Guide|
|Effect of Pattern Specific Confinement Reinforcement on Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete||Proposal Defended||Co-Guide|
|Cyclic Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Columns under Combined Loading Including Torsion||Proposal Defended||Guide|
|Axial Flexure Interaction GFRP Bars and Fiber Reinforced Concrete Square Columns||—||Guide|
|Development and Structural Assessment of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Precast Prestressed Hollowcore Slabs||—||Guide|
|Behavior of Masonry Assemblies with and without GFRP and TRM Strengthening under Static Inplane Loading||2014||Guide|
|Investigation of crack propagation in Macro-synthetic Fiber reinforced concrete||2014||Co-guide|
|Improved Confinement Model for Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Circular Bridge Columns under Flexure Dominant Mode||2015||Guide|
J. Suman Dhara
|Behaviour of Precast Prestressed Hollow Core Slabs with and without FRP Strengthening||2015||Guide|
Tarutal Ghosh Mondal
|Evaluation of Modelling Strategies for Reinforced Concrete Columns under Pure Torsion||2016||Guide|
Md. Abdur Rasheed
|Development of Sustainable Fiber Reinforced Cellular Light Weight Concrete for Structural Applications of Masonry||2015||Guide|
|Plastic Hinge Relocation in Reinforced Concrete Columns under Torsion using FRP Composites||2016||Guide|
Smriti P. Hareendran
|Evaluation of Analytical Models for Reinforced Concrete Sections under Combined Loading||2016||Guide|
|Development of Hysteretic Model for Reinforced Concrete Columns using Softened Membrane Model||2017||Guide|
|Damage Assessment of Plain and Reinforced Concrete under Compression using Smart Aggregates||2017||Guide|
|2017||Co – Guide|
Vikas Singh Kuntal
|Shear Strengthening of Prestressed Concrete Beams by NSM technique using CFRP laminates||2017||Guide|
K. Sriharsha Reddy
|Evaluation of Analytical Models for Reinforced Concrete Sections under Combined Loading||2018||Guide|
|Behaviour of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Prestressed Concrete Beams under Flexure||2019||Guide|
|Shear Behaviour of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Prestressed Concrete||2018||Guide|
|Behaviour of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced Concrete||2019||Guide|
|Flexure Behaviour of GFRP Bars and Synthetic Fiber Reinforced Concrete Beams||2018||Guide|
- Ramanujan Fellow, Sponsored by DST, India, 2012-2017.
- Best Research Poster Award in research showcase contest of Intelligent Systems Centre at Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2009.
- Chi Epsilon Phi, Civil Engineering Honor Society, 2008.
- Best Research Poster Award in Graduate research showcase contest at Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2008.
- UTC-Fellowship for doing PhD research work on behaviour of RC columns under combined loadings, 2006-2007.
- Missouri American Concrete Institute Graduate Scholarship in recognition of scholastic achievements during PhD, 2007.
- Tau Beta Phi, Engineering Honor Society, 2007.
- DAAD Scholarship for doing research work at Technical University- Karlsruhe, Germany sponsored by Federal Republic Government of Germany, 2003-2004.
- Graduate Scholarship, IIT Madras, 2002-2004.
- Best Outgoing Student Award for all-round performance in under-graduation at Department of Civil Engineering, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, India, 2002
- CAD Software for winning first prize in software contest held at Anna University, India, 2002.
CEP/ TEQIP Courses
|1||CASTCON 2013||Condition and Assessment and Strengthening of Concrete Structures||July 4-5 2013||Organizer||—|
|2||FRP 2014||FRP Composites: Overview, Characterization, Analysis, Design and Applications||July 10-11 2014||Co-Organizer||TEQIP|
|3||RAISE 2015||Recent Advances in Structural Engineering and Materials||January 14-15 2015||Co-Organizer||TEQIP|
|4||—||India- Canada Workshop on Sustainable Infrastructure and Materials||January 13 2015||Co-Organizer||IC-IMPACTS|
|5||—||India- Japan Workshop on Sustainable Infrastructure||February 13 2015||Co-Organizer||JICA|
|6||GIAN||Structural Upgrade and Strengthening of Civil Engineering Infrastructure using Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites||June 13-24, 2016||Organizer||GIAN/
|7||GIAN||Advanced Prestressed Concrete for Modern Buildings and Bridges||July 11-20 2016||Organizer||GIAN|
|8||ICCMS 2012||International conference on Computational mechanics||December 9-12 2012.||Session Chair||IIT Hyderabad|
|9||BTCM 2013||International Conference on Repair and Rehabilitation of Concrete Structures||February 12-16 2013||Session Chair||IIT Madras|
Professional Activities, Honours, and Memberships
- Associate Member of ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), Aug 2010 – present
- Member of ACI (American Concrete Institute), Dec 2005 – present
- Member of IEI (Institution of Engineers, India), Aug 2006 – present
- Member of Chi-Epsilon (National Civil Engineering Honour Society, USA), Aug 2006 – present
- Student member of AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction), Aug 2007 – 2009
- Member of EERI (Earthquake Engineering Research Institute), Aug 2007 –present
- Review of construction standards and application for construction in India, Aug 2013- present
- Reviewer for Elsevier Engineering Structures Journal, Jan 2010-present
- Reviewer for ACI Structural Journal, Jan 2016-present
- Reviewer for ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Jan 2013-present
- Reviewer for Taylor & Francis Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Oct 2010-present
- Reviewer for Springer Materials and Structures Journal, Jan 2015- present
- Reviewer for Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, Jan 2015- present
- Reviewer for Smart Materials and Structures Journal, Dec 2015- present