Dr. B. Umashankar
Department of Civil Engineering
Phone: +91 40 2301 6034
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, U.S.A., August 2009
M.Tech, Geotechnical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, August 2002
B.Tech., Civil Engineering, Sri Venkateswara University, India, August 2000
Assistant Professor (Nov 2009-current)
Indian Institute of Technology,Guwahati, India
Assistant Professor (Sep 2009 – Nov 2009)
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, U.S.A
Graduate Research Assistant (July 2004- Aug 2009)
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, U.S.A
Teaching Assistant (June 2005-May 2006, Jan 2008- Dec 2008)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
Senior Project Associate (Aug 2002 -Dec 2002)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
Graduate Research Associate/Research Scholar (Aug 2000 -July 2002)
Umashankar, B., and Hari Prasad, C. (2015), ‘An Apparatus for Measuring Transverse Pullout Resistance of a Reinforcing Element and Method Thereof.’ Submitted to the Indian Patent Office, Application Number 2927/CHE/2015.
15. Hari Prasad, C., and Umashankar, B. (2017). Experimental Study on Transverse Pullout Response of Smooth-Metal-Strip Reinforcements Embedded in Sand. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE (Accepted).
14. Rohith, M., Sasanka Mouli S., and Umashankar B. (2017), Interference of two closely-spaced footings on finite sand layer. Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS & AGSSEA (accepted).
13. Hari Prasad, C., Rajashekar, M., and Umashankar, B. (2016). Preparation of Uniform Sand Specimens using Stationary Pluviation and Vibratory Methods. Geotechnical and Geological engineering, Springer, Vol. 34, Issue 6, pp. 1909-1922
12. VKD Mohan, H Kim, U Balunaini, M Prezzi (2016). Pullout capacity of ladder-type metal reinforcements in tire shred-sand mixtures, Construction and Building Materials, 113, pp.544-552.
11. B Durga Prasad, C Hariprasad, and B Umashankar (2016). Load-settlement response of Square Footing on Geogrid Reinforced Layered Granular Beds, International Journal of Geosynthetics and Ground Engineering, 2: 36, 2016.
10. Umashankar, B., Hari Prasad, C., and Thejesh kumar (2015). Compaction Quality Control of Pavement Layers using LWD. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE Vol 28, issue 2 pp 1-9.
9. Balunaini, U., Varenya, Kumar D, Prezzi M and Salgado R (2014). Shear Strength of Tyre Chip-Sand and Tyre Shred-Sand Mixtures. Proceedings of Geotechnical Engineering, Institute of Civil Engineering, Vol. 167, No. 6, pp. 585-595.
8. Balunaini, U, Yoon S, Prezzi M and Salgado R (2014). Pullout Response of Unaxial Geogrid in Tire Shred- Sand Mixtures. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 505-523.
7. Balunaini, U., Damalla, Y, and Madhav, M R (2013). Settlement Due to Uniform Circular Load on Finite Two-Layer System. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 31, Issue 1, pp. 255-265.
6. Balunaini, U., and Prezzi, M. (2010). Interaction of Ribbed-Metal Strip Reinforcement with Tire Shred- Sand Mixtures. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 147-163.
5. Yoon, S., Balunaini, U., Prezzi, M., Yildrim, I. Z, and Siddiki, N. Z. (2009). Construction of an Embankment with a Fly and Bottom Ash Mixture: A Field Performance Study. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 271-278.
4. Yoon, S., Balunaini, U., and Prezzi, M. (2007). Forensic Examination of the Severe Heaving of an Embankment Constructed with Fluidized-Bed-Combustion Ash. Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., Issue 2026, pp. 9-17.
3.Madhav, M. R., and Umashankar, B. (2003). Response of Extensible Reinforcement to Transverse Pull / Displacement: Linear Subgrade Behavior. Indian Geotechnical Journal, 33, No. 4, pp. 397-421.
2. Madhav, M. R., and Umashankar, B. (2003). Analysis of Inextensible Sheet Reinforcement subject to Downward Displacement / Force: Nonlinear Subgrade Response. Geosynthetics International, Vol. 10, Issue 3, pp. 95-102.
1. Madhav, M. R., and Umashankar, B. (2003). Analysis of Inextensible Sheet Reinforcement subject to Transverse Displacement / Force: Linear Subgrade Response. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol. 21, Issue 2, pp. 69-84.
29. Narendra Goud G., Umashankar, B., (2017), Planar Reinforcements for Flexible Pavements, International Conference on
Geotechniques for Infrastructure Projects GIP-2017.
28. Umashankar, B., Sasanka Mouli S., Madhav M.R., (2017), Effect of Compaction Stresses on Performance of Back-to-Back Retaining Walls, 19th ICSMGE, Seoul, Korea pp.1951-1954.
27. Narendra, G., Hariprasad, C., and Umashankar, B. (2016), Experimental study on steel-wire- mesh reinforced flexible pavements. GeoChicago: Sustainability, Energy, and the Environement, ASCE, 15 th -18 th August.
26. Umashankar, B., and Prezzi, M. (2016), Shredded waste tires as a geomaterial. Indo-US Bilateral workshop, 18 th August, Chicago, Sheraton Towers.
25. Shiva Bhushan, J.Y.V., Partha Sarathi, P., Umashankar, B., (2016), Geotechnical characterization of construction and demolished (c&d) waste, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2016) Chennai.
24. Umaharathi, N., Bhargav Kumar, K.P., and Umashankar, B., (2016), Effect of fines on shear strength of sands, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2016) Chennai, pp. 151-200.
23. Sasanka Mouli S., Umashankar, B., Madhav M.R., (2016), Reinforcement tensile forces in back-to-back retaining walls, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2016) Chennai.
22.Hariprasad, C., and Umashankar, B. (2015). Load-settlement response of circular footing resting on reinforced layer system. 15th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Japan
21.Umashankar, B., Hariprasad, C., and Mouli, S., (2015). Interface properties of metal-grid and geogrid reinforcements with sand. IFCEE, ASCE: pp. 1430-1438.
20. Umashankar, B., Mouli, S., and Hariprasad, C., (2015). Settlement of embankment constructed with geofoam. IFCEE, ASCE: pp. 161-170.
19. Thejesh Kumar G. and Umashankar B., (2014). Slope stability analysis considering stress dependency on angle of shearing resistance , Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada.
18. Hari Prasad C., Thejesh Kumar G., Umashankar B. , (2014). A micro fabric study of untreated and untreated expansive soils using atomic force microscopy, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada.
17. Durga Prasad B. , Hari Prasad C., Umashankar B., (2014). Shear strength of IS sand under various normal stresse, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada.
16. Raviteja K.V.N.S., Umashankar B., Ramu K, Dayakar Babu R., (2014). Bearing capacity of a strip footing resting on treated and untreated soils, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada.
15. Umashankar B. and Sasanka Mouli S., (2014). Lateral earth pressure analysis of back-to-back retaining walls, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada.
14. Umashankar B. and Sahithi A. ,(2014). Bearing capacity of strip footing on top of sloping ground Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-2014) Kakinada
13. Preethi, S., Umashankar, B., and Madhav, M.R., (2014). Settlement Analysis of a Layered System due to Circular Loading, Golden Jubilee Conference of the IGS Bangalore Chapter, Geo-Innovations.
12. Mouli, S.S. and Umashankar, B., (2014). Numerical analysis of MSE walls considering wall friction and reinforcement stiffness. Proc. of 14th IACMAG, Japan, pp. 1119-1123.
11. Umashankar, B., Prezzi, M., and Salgado, R. (2014). Pullout Resistance Factors of Metal Strips in Tire Shred-Sand Mixtures, Proceedings of the Geo-Shanghai 2014 International Conference, Geotechnical Special Publication 241, ASCE, pp 232- 241.
10. Rojimol, J., Phanindra, K B V N., and Umashankar, B. (2013). Application of Deterministic Geostatics in Site Exploration. Proceedings of Fourth Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (4IYGEC), 17-18 May, pp 269-271, IIT Madras, Chennai.
9. Saranya, S., and Umashankar, B. (2013). Stability Analysis of Slopes in NC and OC Clays. Proceedings of Fourth Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (4IYGEC), 17-18 May, pp 33-36, IIT Madras, Chennai.
8. Madhav, M R., and Umashankar, B. (2012). Settlement of and Load Distribution in a Granular Piled Raft. National Conference on Contemporary Civil Engineering Research and Practices (CCERP), April 20-22, M.I.T, Manipal.
7. Balunaini, U., Hari Prasad C., Madhav, M R. (2012). Modeling Reinforcement-Soil Interactions under Oblique or Transverse Forces- A Review. Asiafuge-2012, IIT Mumbai, pp. 89-94.
6. Madhav, M R., and Balunaini, U. (2012). Gabion Type Retaining Walls with Waste/Scrapped Tyres. Recent Trends in Highways Development, Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi.
5. Jancy, F., Umashankar, B., and Madhav, M R. (2012). Bulging Behavior of Floating Granular Pile. Indian Geotechnical Conference, New Delhi.
4. Jancy, F., Rajagopal, A., Umashankar, B., and Madhav, M R. (2011). Finite Element Modeling of Ground – Structure Interaction Considering Non-linear Response of the Ground. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Dec. 15-17, Kochi.
3. Umashankar, B., and Madhav, M. R. (2010). Stress Dependent Active Earth Pressures for High Retaining Walls. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Dec. 15-17, Kochi.
2. Umashankar, B., Madhav, M R., and Rajyalakshmi, K. (2010). Load Settlement Response of Reclaimed Ground. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Lowland Technology, Sep. 16-18, pp 250-254, Saga, Japan.
1. Kim, H., Lee M S., Balunaini, U., Prezzi, M., and Siddiki, N Z (2010). Compaction Quality Control of Fly and Bottom Ash Mixture Embankment using Dynamic Cone Penetrometer and Lightweight Deflectometer, 89th TRB Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., USA.
4. Balunaini, U., Yoon, S., Prezzi, M., Salgado, R., and McCullouch, B. (2008). Field Implementation of Compaction Techniques for Tire Shred-Granular Material Mixtures. Report submitted to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
3. Balunaini, U., Yoon, S., Prezzi, M., and Salgado, R (2008). Tire Shred Backfill in Mechanically Stabilized Earth Wall Applications. Report submitted to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
2. Balunaini, U., Yoon, S., Prezzi, M., Salgado, R., and McCullouch, B. (2008). Research and Development of More Economical Mixtures of Tire Shreds and Sands. Report submitted to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
1. Kim, B., Yoon, S., Balunaini, U., Prezzi, M., and Salgado, R. (2006). Determination of Ash Mixture Properties and Construction of Test Embankment. Report No. FHWA/IN/JTRP-2006/24-1, SPR-2591.
Developing educational outreach programs and introducing innovative teaching approaches in instruction
Advanced Soil Mechanics
Advanced Foundation Engineering
Behavior of Natural and Engineered Soils (co-teaching)
Design of Earth Structures (co-teaching)
Design Studio (co-teaching)
Engineering Mechanics (co-teaching)
Geo-technical Engineering Lab (co-teaching)
Mechanics of Solids (co-teaching)
Funding Agency: Ministry of Shipping Road Transport & Highways
Duration: 2 years
Funding Agency: Department of Science & Technology
Duration: 2 years
Funding Agency: Neyveli Lignite Co. Ltd.
Duration: 1.5 years
Funding Agency: National Highway Authority of India
Duration: 3 years
Narendra Goud G. ‘ Studies on Geogrid Reinforced Base and Subbase Pavement Layers’
Partha Sarathi Parhi
K.P Bhargav Kumar
Hari Prasad C. ‘Experimental Study on the Response of Reinforcement to Transverse Pull’
Sasanka Mouli S. ‘Modeling Back-to-Back Reinforced Walls’
Paipi Purna Srivastava
Kondameeda Reddy Sridhar
Jancy F. (2010-2012) ‘Behavior of granular pile and granular piled raft
Yugandhar D. (2010-2012) ‘ Settlement due to uniform circular load on finite two layered system ‘
Rajsekar H. (2011-2013) ‘Behavior of reinforced sand subjected to shear along vertical plane’
Rojimol J. (2011-2013) (jointly guided with Dr KBVN Phanindra) ‘Development of Optimal Linear Geostatistical Model for Site Characterization’
Saranya S. (2011-2013) ‘ Stress distribution on bridge abutment due to Wheel loads ‘
Akhila Palat (2012-2014) ‘Settlement Analysis of Back-to-Back Reinforced Retaining Walls’
Bhargav Kumar K.P. (2012-2014) ‘ Interface Properties of Geogrid and Fly Ash/Fly Ash-Tire Chip Mixtures ‘
Prashant Vyankatesh G. (2012-2014) ‘ Resilient Modulus and Shear Strength Properties of Fly Ash and Fly Ash-Tyre Chip Mixtures’
Durga Prasad B. (2013-2015) ‘Experimental Studies on Reinforced Beds’
Lakshmi Rishitha A. (2013-2015) ‘Load-Displacement Behavior of Laterally Loaded Piles’
Thejesh Kumar G. (2013-2015) ‘Cyclic Simple Shear Testing on Sands’
Preeti Sekar (2013-2016) ‘Settlement due to Uniform Rectangular Load on Layered Soil System’
Rajashekhar M. (2013-2016) ‘Settlement analysis at the Abutments’
J. Y. V. Shiv Bhushan (2014-2016) ‘Construction and Demolition Waste Used as Backfill Material’
Rohith Macharam(2015-17)-‘Interference of two closely spaced on finite sand layer’
Tejaswi (2015-17) ‘Embankment over reinforced soft clay deposit’
Vijaya Sree (2016-18) ‘Performance of Granular Piles arranged in Triangular Pattern’
Ankur Mittal (2016-18) ‘Staged Pullout Testing of Geosynthetic Reinforcements’
Charan(2018-19) ‘Stabilization of expansive subgrades using geogrid reinforcement- An experimental study’
Prakhar Bele (2018-19) ‘Correlation of deformation modulus from Light Weight Deflectometer with the soil properties’